Fun Alley

"Life ees fun." - nouveau Confucian, my ex-coworker The Kreesh

Name:
Location: Hayward, California, United States

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Return of the Alley

I used to sit in a row of cubes fondly dubbed Fun Alley.

We would play digital golf on my pda, IM pithy witticisms to the world, and putt golf balls into a trash can. The sun shone brightly, the birds sang, and we of Fun Alley revelled in a weird combination of summer vacation, detention, and work.

Granted, this delight was tempered by a cruel little torture called web development. Don't get me wrong, I love a good kick in the head as much of the next guy, but making me code was clearly fate's preferred way of making me pay for the sins caused in my previous life (most likely as a papercut on the tongue or something similarly evil). But you know why the fun in the alley never ceased? Because we were riding the dotcom wave to the sky! Whooo-eeee! We were blinking Marios all the way, baby.

$18 - 55 - 80 ... um, 1 dollar?

Faster than you can say adios mamastinker ("hello, i'd like to apply for the FCC posterboy internship...), things got Donner Party pretty fast. Staff thinned, cube raidings were commonplace, and soon the denizens of the Alley packed up and moved out as the office closed its doors. Goodbye, garbage can golf, we'll miss you dearly.

~~~

Almost five years to the day, I now resurrect Fun Alley in the form of this blog. While I'm not really sure what I'm going to do here, I figure it's only right that I dedicate a place in cyberspace to that sliver of the paradise I once knew.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, hope all is well with your" IM" search.
Maybe you can find looking for "ADVICE" at www.directmatch4free.com
Just make sure you come back to this site to let us know how you are doing!

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home