Fun Alley

"Life ees fun." - nouveau Confucian, my ex-coworker The Kreesh

Name:
Location: Hayward, California, United States

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Capetown Ahoy!

Jan 3 2007 6:45am capetown, south africa

It may have taken over a day to get here, but I’m finally here! After a 10 hour flight from SF to Frankfurt, a 7 hour layover, and an 11 hour flight to Capetown, it’s been quite a long haul. Everything went surprisingly smoothly though as I was half expecting to discover that my baggage had been lost (a fate that befell both Ian and Vidya when they arrived here). I breezed through customs (they request to see your return ticket, guess they want to make sure you leave!) and am sitting in the SFO-like lobby, waiting for Vid to pick me up.

It’s early but the sun is already shining brightly. I stepped outside to take in the not-very-Evanstonlike 70 degree air. I think I’m going to like it here. It’s bustling outside, with people flowing into the International Terminal. It’s a really diverse crowd of families and jetsetters of all ages and ethnicities. I know I’m jumping the gun, but it really feels like I sat on a 30 hour flight and ended up back home!

Capetown has a very cosmopolitan, busy yet laid-back feel to it. Well, at least the airport does. I can see how people liken it to the Bay Area. One thing’s for certain though, it’s a whole lot prettier. The view as we descended into Capetown Airport, was breathtaking. Table Mountain, Lionshead, the Cape … I hope they’re as magnificent as they looked from a mile up. Guess I’ll find out.

Ok, time for me to head back out and look for Vid. We’ll be spending the day getting settled – getting my phone card, some cash, and booking the Tanzania tickets. I’ll be staying at a famous party hostel – the Big Blue Hostel. It’s a 10 person room (hey, how can you turn down 13 bucks a day?!) so we’ll see how it goes.

...Now, what's a guy gotta do to get some Keg popcorn around here?

2 Comments:

Blogger tatertot said...

sounds beautiful! glad you made it babe and can't wait to see you! And believe me, you won't miss the keg popcorn for long...

2:18 AM  
Blogger LL said...

Yay dodger! Hope you have an amazing time. I'm sure you will.

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home