Fun Alley

"Life ees fun." - nouveau Confucian, my ex-coworker The Kreesh

Name:
Location: Hayward, California, United States

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Oops I Did It Again

I got called a negative bastard today. Or at least, it sort of felt like it. The details are less significant as the message itself. When presented with different ways to interpret a situation, I call out the less sunny side of the tracks. Perhaps it's just a matter of perspective. I like to kick the tires once in a while just to doublecheck. I like to poke and prod to make sure things are solid. And when they aren't, that gets pointed out too. I'm not judging but observing. I'm just a friendly inspector.

But maybe through the eyes of others, my questions and insights are taken at face value, as point blank criticisms drawing my position in the sand. Perhaps I am the new Chinese Mom, quick to point out the innumerable errors of one's ways. Tsk this. Tsk that. Shoulda coulda woulda. Aiya. Goodbye family honor

I'm a fact checker, plain and simple. I like to kick the wheels, doublecheck, and vet out everything and anything under the sun. Maybe it's the engineer in me. Rule #1: Test out critical assumptions. When I ask Why/How/When/Who/Where ... it's not to disprove something but simply to make sure we're on the same page. When confronted by the affronted, I try to calmly explain that if something were defensible, then all lines of questioning should be welcome.

People have suggested that I pursue a JD rather than an MBA. My fierce pursuit of truth (or, apparently, my version of it, at least) coupled with my ability to turn casual conversation into a cross-examination seem to indicate some traces of litigious blood in my veins.

Perhaps it is due to the famed "Frank*" Effect. {not really Frank, but you get the pic} Frank and a friend started a company. Every time I would see Frank, I'd eagerly inquire about the progress of his firm. Particularly interested in evaluating the guts of the operation, I would ask very specific questions about different facets of his endeavor. Much later on, the word on the street was that I had a beef with Frank.

I was floored. Apparently, my casual kicking of the tires seemed more like fierce verbal assault and battery. To the Franks of the world. my polite chit-chat was more suited for Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men. Ooops.

Here's the rub. I am analytical, not critical. I let the evidence speak for itself - whether the conclusion be favorable or not. When I inquire, I am simply gathering information. I'm not asking for Good, I'm not asking for Evil. I'm just trying to understand.

But the Franks of the world may not understand this - or even care. Perhaps they would much rather me focus on the beautiful weather, remark upon a few pleasantries, and go upon my merry way. Who cares if I don't fully understand something? No one's asking for my advice or opinion anyway.

It's just weird. Should I just clam up and only share the good stuff? The warm fuzzies but not the open questions? And, what about those thoughts that are actually critical? Are they better off locked in the vault in order to preserve my good name? For the sake of proper understanding and good conversation, I sure hope not.

But then again, maybe it's just because I'm a negative bastard.

1 Comments:

Blogger tatertot said...

"I let the evidence speak for itself - whether the conclusion be favorable or not."

Evidence never speaks for itself - it is left to the human mind and heart to interpret. It, like beauty and contact lenses, is in the eye of the beholder...

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home