Fun Alley

"Life ees fun." - nouveau Confucian, my ex-coworker The Kreesh

Name:
Location: Hayward, California, United States

Friday, February 11, 2005

Thoughts To My Uncle

I just learned tonight that my uncle who recently immigrated from China is in the hospital after coughing up blood. This is unsettling news - in fourth grade, I had a friend pass away after coughing up blood after an asthma attack. I hope today's situation is not nearly as severe.

Suffering from potentially severe gastrointestinal ailments, my uncle is facing an extremely arduous road ahead. Strangers in a strange land, he and his wife are fortunate enough to have landed jobs soon after coming to the States, despite having only the faintest grasp of English. He fell ill the first day on the job. Perhaps most worrisome next to the ailment itself is the specter of medical costs. With insurance kicking in only after three months on the job, it seems entirely possible that he is not covered whatsoever.
  • Fact 1: Hospitals in the US charge exorbitant rates.
  • Fact 2: He is staying in the hospital at least for several days, not to mention future treatment.
  • Fact 3: No amount of savings they have from China can fight back the flurry of fees mounting at their door.
While first and foremost concerned about my uncle's immediate health, I am also worried about the financial predicament they are in. I am confident he and my expanded family will rally together to find a way to handle this. - but is this a one-time incident or just the tip of the iceberg?

What happens when you can't afford to get better? Do you just go on your way and pray to never cough again? Do you go to bed with fervent prayers, hoping to see the light of the next morning? Many of us are fortunate - we have good jobs, coddled lifestyles, and are in good health. But those who worry about rent and basic expenses, those who don't have insurance paid for by work ... they walk a very delicate tightrope with nary a net to cushion a fall.

For my uncle, who arrived here only a month ago, the Land of Dreams has become the Black Hole of Uncertainty. At the onset of the Chinese New Year, may health and financial security find their way back to him again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home